Monday, July 19, 2010

First surgery down, one more in 7 days.

I don’t remember much the day of the surgery or the day after. Surgery was Tuesday the 13th and they couldn’t get done what they wanted. They could only get a cage between S1 and L5. I have about 30 staples (they will be taken out during the next surgery). To put it in terms that my family in Wisconsin speaks – I feel like a deer that was just gutted, all the inners taken out, then put back in and stapled back up. I have no pain in my spine just my entire front. The hardest thing is to get up and down with little pain.

Last Thursday I was given 2 units of blood because I was very anemic. I finally started feeling better on Friday. I got up each day to walk a little but Friday I walked all over!

I know people came to visit me, but sometimes I was asleep. Please know I appreciate all the visits and food. My family has been well fed!! I am slowly going from jello and water to soup and tea. In fact, I had two teenagers peeling potatoes in my bedroom. It’s funny how potato peels fly! By the way, the soup tasted great!!

When my mom talked to me a couple days ago I said there is no way I will ever do this again. As of today, I am thinking better and know I need this next surgery to be fully back to normal.

My husband and boys have been awesome! Our little one keeps telling me not to cough or laugh. He says, “You know mommy, it hurts so don’t do it!” Our middle one just keeps walking in the bedroom, looks at me, gives me a hug and leaves. Our oldest is doing his best to make me laugh in between texting. We also have a good friend’s daughter from Wisconsin staying for a week. She has been an angel. She keeps the boys on their toes and keeps offering to give me a leg massage. I need to especially thank my husband who gets to hear me rant and complain but still loves me. He is my rock!

Saturday I got a couple special phone calls. My family reunion from my dad’s side of the family was in Greenleaf State Park in OK. I really wanted to be there since it seems like everyone is getting older. But my family called to say hi and that they missed me. The next phone call was from my high school class of 1980. I haven’t talked with many of these people since then. They had a family picnic and played pass the phone to say hi to me! I was shocked to tears!

I do have one big question – now that more of my spine is fused, how do you wipe your bottom without twisting or bending? Stop laughing! This is serious. My PT guru told me to follow the “BLT”. No Bending, Lifting or Twisting for the next 6 to 9 months. Any suggestions?

Next doctor appointment is Thursday for post and pre-op. He will be taking more x-rays to determine what the next surgery will entail. Until then, I have PT, OT and a nurse that come to our home to keep me going.

Getting tired now. On two different pain meds and muscle relaxer. Also, typing makes me dizzy. God is still on the throne and in control!

1 comment:

  1. No BLT?! For 6-9 months?!

    I don't know what the answer is, but my funny response is to become Elastigirl.

    So glad to hear your report on Surgery #1. Thanks for going to the great effort to tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete